Monday, March 8, 2010
Cameron, Bigelow, Martin, Baldwin and Bridges
Forget it. These are the words that should have been said to James Cameron last night at the 82nd Academy Awards. Forget Best Director, forget Best Motion Picture, forget sweeping the Oscars. Case and point, the better movie won. Kathryn Bigelow's vision and drive toppled Cameron's budget and technology. It was Goliath versus David once again, that is if David was a woman and also Goliath's ex-wife. I will say, Avatar got what it deserved. Art Direction and Special Effects were a no-brainier. Since most of the cinematography was done on a computer, I was unsure about Avatar receiving the Oscar for it. But, just as well, I was happy with this years momentous awards. Kathryn being the first woman ever to receive an Oscar for Directing or Best Picture could not come at a better time, or for a better movie. It just goes to show how progressive those stuffy Academy judges have become, or maybe their just acting... However, one thing I must gripe about was the selection of Martin and Baldwin double emceeing. They seemed unrehearsed and the languor of their performances cause a crucial delay in delivering their punch lines. Overall it was half-assed and disappointing. Nevertheless Jeff Bridges made up for their folly, by showing he truly is "The Dude". He broke the record for the number of times someone said "Man" in their acceptance speech. Far out man, far out. That's all I have today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment