Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Crowning Acheivement

The NBA Playoffs are in full swing and I find myself putting off important school assignments. This could be the most exciting time of year, surpassing Christmas and football season. To watch rival teams battling on the hardwood is riveting. The crescendos of a boisterous crowd pour out of my 13” TV night after night. I’m determined not to miss one Pyrrhic victory or ice-cold execution. That being said, one thing has muddled this year’s ebullition and that is the performance of my broke-winged Blazers. The first game was a statement: “we are the Blazers and damn right we should be in the playoffs!” However, game two and three have more appropriately been a statement of: “maybe this whole playoff idea was just a megrim at best.” With their token shooter, as well as the two big men, sidelined, it’d seem the Blazers have no chance of advancing past the first round. Perhaps this is true, however, we must acknowledge the Herculean gauntlet the Blazers had to contend with to even get to where they are. Extremely short-handed and injuries as ubiquitous as student canvassers, the Blazers have applied themselves to every challenge and have worked miracles. Players of mention are Bayless and Howard. Bayless has led the offence with ferocity and explosiveness. He’s a tough bastard who’ll literally put his physical well being at risk to cut to the basket. Look for him to continue to improve his game and become a potent orchestrator in the coming seasons. As for Howard, I tip my hat. The guy has a son playing NCAA basketball and he’s still throwing elbows and crashing boards with players 15 years his minor. So despite the fact the Blazers won’t move past the first round, I can find solace in the crowning achievement they have already won, that of determination. As for the rest of the playoffs, I will watch them vehemently. I am addicted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment